Since the first textile printing workshops, created in 1746, until the 19th century, when the French city of Mulhouse called itself the “city of the hundred chimneys”, this place has a history closely related to textiles. From the beginning Mulhouse experienced industrial success which was entirely connected to the textile activity. The urban planning was initiated during this period and the city lived through great intellectual and cultural experiences in connection with the development of the textile industry. From the second half of the 20th century onwards, Mulhouse suffered a setback and the situation worsened with the decline of the textile activities, mainly due to innovations of the production techniques and the globalization of the trade. The city suffered during this postindustrial era which left her neglected, like a museum piece. But since one decade, a strong will surfaced to take up its textile history.
During the residence, various scientific, industrial, creative or museum institutions - which are all preserving the textil tradition of Mulhouse – will be important:
- National High School of Engineering of South Alsace
- Institute Superior of Textiles of the Alsace
- Haute École des Arts du Rhin (HEAR), department of textiles
- The museum of textile printing
- Dollfus-Mieg & Co, DMC, a textile factory (founded in 1746)
The accommodation is located at the Rue de la Bibliothèque in Mulhouse - in the former apartment of the Concièrge of the municipal library of Mulhouse. The three-room apart-ment with kitchen and bathroom usually accommodates one to two guests of the Kunsthalle Mulhouse at a time.
The studio of the Kunsthalle Mulhouse is located in the newly blossomed Atelierhaus und Kulturzentrum Motoco at the Rue de Pfastatt, which is located in the halls of the now decimated textile factory DMC.